Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mother's Day Mother-of- a- Feast

I just discovered a monthly blogging event--Tried and Tasted. I decided, in honor of Mother's Day, to take part.

Well, that's not entirely accurate. We were having a Mother's Day BBQ, and I, being the only vegan, was put in charge of bringing vegan-fare. Looking for the right excuse to try some of these new recipes out, as I haven't had much time for culinary experiments the last few weeks, I thought this was the opportunity I've been needing.

Tried and Tasted is the concept of Zuzana of Zlamushka's Spicy Kitchen. This month, it is being hosted by Vaishali of Holy Cow!, and the blog of choice is FatFree Vegan Kitchen. This being for a BBQ, and with main course and desert covered, I decided on side-dish recipes.

Both received rave reviews from everyone at the table, including my two-year old nephew who is a notoriously picky eater.

The Spicy Carrot Salad was such an easy, perfect springtime salad. I made a few adjustments, based solely on availabilities of ingredients. First, searching high and low, I was unsuccessful in locating my mandolin. I instead used two bags of shredded carrots. Second, I couldn't find flax seeds at my closest grocery-store, which is generally lacking, so added a small amount of olive oil to help emulsify the dressing. Third, I substituted pine nuts for the walnuts.

All in all, the salad was a nice mix of crunch, tang, and spice. This recipe has been added to my go-to roster, and I'm already imagining different variations--adding plump raisins, perhaps a lemon-dill vinaigrette. I might just have to plant a carrot garden.

The Asparagus Pesto Salad was delicious. I wouldn't change a thing and cannot wait to incorporate this pesto, and the ideas it is spawning, into my weekly round-up. In fact, I have a little pesto left over that's just calling my name. The only change I made was choosing a cavatappi instead of penne--a strange craving that I won't even try to understand.

My first foray into Susan's FatFree Vegan Kitchen recipe book was a great success! Next up, this incredible looking Coconut Chai Breakfast Cake.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful salad combo :-) Thanks for participating T&T event. I hope you ll get a chance to come up with something delish for T&T Jue as well, the Blog of The Month is Meena of Hooked on Heat :-)

    ReplyDelete