Friday, February 13, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green

Making the switch to veganism can be hard, especially if you’re like me. I’m not militant about my beliefs; you won’t find me standing on a street corner with a petition, although I really admire those that do and will always stop to sign it for you. I’ve had almost twenty years of people arguing with me for what I believe in. I decided a long time ago that I wouldn’t return the favor.

Veganism, and even vegetarianism, is a personal choice, and one that we all made for very different reasons. But, to be honest, it also can be a struggle. There is literally a cornucopia of information to sift through; eating out can be hard to navigate, even in this foodie city. I love ice cream and cheese; I miss them both dearly—especially ice cream. I love sky-high heels, but not all of us can afford Stella McCartney. Temptations are high and everywhere; cheating sometimes inevitable. And it’s ok. The guilt can be overwhelming, but it can also serve to strengthen your resolve to live a lighter, gentler life.

So in that spirit, I give you this: a resource of tips and tricks to help you navigate the vegan lifestyle in the real world. Mondays will be devoted to web finds, Thursdays to fashion, and Fridays to food.

If you have any tips or thoughts that you would like to share, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment